Pages

Thursday 23 July 2015

My Beach Body

Taking part in the #MyBeachBody campaign was both an empowering and enlightening experience for me. Empowering because I was able to face a fear and challenge myself to do something that was way out of my comfort zone. Enlightening because it made me realize that despite our best intentions many women, myself included, still harbour fantasies about the cookie-cutter 'perfect' body.

Well over a year ago, I started following the campaigns of a local swimwear designer, Julia Church. Her company, Nettle's Tale, has a mandate to create swimwear for real women. Recognizing, the challenges that women face in accepting their unique body shapes, Nettle's Tale aims to empower women 'not just to accept themselves, but sincerely love themselves'. The company uses real women, of all shapes and sizes to model their swimwear, without any airbrushing.

Nettle's Tale Swimwear Inc.

Enamoured of this concept, and I took every opportunity to promote it, via this blog and social media. I was thrilled when my pregnancy presented me with the opportunity to chat with Julia about swimwear styles suitable for women who are expecting.

(More from my chat with Julia here.)

 In my mind, this was a quiet opportunity to challenge myself to face my own self-image demons. My plan was to write a review of Nettle's Tale Swimwear with images of myself in the swimwear. That was the plan. Little did I know that Julia would be contacting me, within the week, to walk-the-talk that I had been touting.
"This Saturday we're doing a swimsuit shoot with RAW Beauty Talks ... I thought you would be a great candidate." Read: pictures of you in a bikini with no make-up, no photo editing and no filters - to be shared with the world.

Whoa! Who hit the panic button!?

This is how I felt when I realized that I had this great opportunity to challenge myself and my own self-image issues -
And not an excuse in the world to get me out of it!

Through my childhood and into adolescence, I was always a bit heavier than average. I have had to work very hard in adulthood in order to maintain a healthy weight for my frame. I bought my first bikini somewhere around the age of 30. The problem has been that I have never looked trim enough for myself. It's not as if, while at that optimal weight, I was able to look in the mirror and say, "Good, job. You look great!". I am well aware that there is no single, ideal body-type; I believe that everyone is different and that healthy looks different on everyone. Certainly, we have an obligation to ourselves and our loved ones to do our best to take of ourselves so that we can live life with energy and vitality. But even as I did my best to eat well and be active, it was always what I saw in the mirror that carried the most weight in determining how I felt on any given day.

This is how I felt in front of Britney Gill's camera,
with an entourage of beautiful and amazing women cheering me on.

 Now, with baby no. 2 on board, sometimes I cringe when I pass by a mirror and glimpse this super curvy version of myself. It's insane, I know. Ten months ago, nothing could be more beautiful to me than a blossoming bump. Given that I know that my body is making a miracle, shouldn't I innately love the way that miracle presents itself?

Being pregnant is amazing, it's a miracle, my body is doing amazing things.
Sunnies courtesy of Bailey Nelson.

We don't know if we have a little boy or girl coming our way. It doesn't matter at all. What I do know is that if it's a little girl, I don't ever want her to think about herself or her physical appearance in the way I have for most of my life. I wouldn't want her to waste precious time and emotional capital on this. I would want her to be strong, healthy and hope that that will be sufficient.


Raw Beauty Talks: #MYBEACHBODY Campaign.

So how do I facilitate this? It's simple, really, and it began with Julia. I have to walk-the-talk. I have to lead by example. I have to re-train myself to truly believe that my hip-to-waist ratio isn't the most important thing about me so that my daughter knows that I truly love myself.

Help redefine what the perfect beach body looks like by sharing a filter-free, un-retouched photo of your perfectly imperfect body in a bathing suit with the hashtag #MyBeachBody.

On vacation off the coast of Crete, Greece.
Feeling super-confident and chic in the 'Julia' Limited Edition Black + Cloud Bikini Set by Nettle's Tale.
Boho Marks courtesy of Balsam and Vine.

On the beach in Bodrum, Turkey.
Wearing the 'Britney' Limited Edition Pink + Navy Bikini Set by Nettle's Tale.
Hat by Eugenia Kim.

Incidentally, the two sets Julia selected for me have been nothing short of perfect for my rapidly changing body. I am absolutely in love with them! The contrasting colours are on point. The bikini tops have adjustable shoulder straps and bust straps. The high-waisted bottoms are on-trend, with lovely ruching detail and can also be worn under-bump without any loss of comfort. These features will all be equally important post-baby. Definitely must-haves for mommas-to-be on the move!

Check out this inspiring video for more on the vision behind Nettle's Tale:









No comments:

Post a Comment

We love & appreciate your comments.
Thanks for chatting with us.


-Calliope + Clio

Shop